The Wedding Chapel, or as locals know it, la Salle des Mariages, is situated in the Menton Town Hall.
It was in 1955 when the town of Menton gave their favourite artist, Jean Cocteau, the responsibility to decorate the courtroom of the wedding hall, which was barely being used at the time. A few years later, this multi-talented artist transformed the hall into a masterpiece with frescoes of enamoured lovers, romance, and marriage as well Greek gods, the legendary musician Orpheus and his wife Eurydice.
Cocteau’s decoration creates a very romantic atmosphere in the theme of eternal love which is truly beautiful to see. His designs can be seen on the doors, the candelabras and the carpets as well.
He used a lot of elements to connect the beautiful town of Menton with marriage and eternal love, from blue and white colours representing the flag of Menton, to yellow and orange colours that bring out the colours of the sun which refers to the great wealth of a wedding party in a dreamy and light vision.
Visit this masterpiece by one of the most talented artists who left their mark on the French Riviera and let his paintings take you away. The Chapel is open for viewing every day except Saturday and Sunday between 8:30 am to 12 pm and from 2 pm to 4:30 pm.